Monday, May 5, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEFFREY!!


HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY, JEFFREY!!


Letter to my Jeffrey,
I cannot tell you how honoured I am to be your mother. Words just can't explain the fullness in my heart when I think of you.

We had a rough few months when you were first born. Being a youngest, myself, I had never really been around a lot of babies. And you, my dear, were quite a baby. First off, you were very hungry. Always. Then, you got colick. OMG! The colick. It was really awful, you poor baby. You would eat and then sleep for a bit and then you would wake up with a terrible tummy ache. I would place you on your tummy across my lap with one hand under your tummy and the other hand rubbing your back and that seemed to be the only way to soothe you. If you notice, a lot of the pictures of you for the first couple of months have you in this position. I really wondered if I had made a mistake in deciding to become a young mother. I thought, maybe it was my fault that you were so miserable. Then, like a miracle, it stopped and you became the cutest baby I had ever laid eyes on. We would lie in bed together and you would coo at me. OMG! It was so cute.

Then, when you started talking you were obsessed with buses. Obsessed, I tell you. You would stand at the door of our house and yell bus! bus! over and over until I would take you for a walk and you could see a bus. One day, CeeCee and I decided to take you on a bus. We were in the car, following a bus and you're freaking out, so happy to see one bus after another. So, I get out with you and we get on a bus. CeeCee followed us in the car. Well, you have to remember we were in Bramalea, better known as Bramladesh. We get on the bus and before I can even pay (you were about 4 years old) you start talking about the guy with the hat (it was a man with a turban) and why does he have that and look how fat that lady is and chattering on and on and it was so embarrassing and I was trying to answer the questions.

Me: The guy has a hat on because it's part of his religion.
You: What's religion?
Me: Hard to explain. Something you believe in.
You: That lady's fat.
Me: That's very rude, Let's move to the back of the bus
You (bouncing down the aisle): Maybe she's gonna have another baby like you, momma.
Me (not pregnant at the time but had had 3 kids in 33 months): Ya, maybe.
We got off the bus at the City Center and never did that again.

And smart? I, seriously, don't know another child who knew letters at age 18 months. There was a picture above our couch and it had a saying at the bottom of it. I would point to the letters and you knew what they were. At 18 months!! In fact, you were so cute that I just had to have another baby. So, you see, it's all your fault! LOL!!

I remember when you went to kindergarten and the teacher took me aside at the end of the first week and reprimanded me because I hadn't mentioned that you could read. I said "He can't read, he just has a good memory and, once you tell him a story he repeats it back." So she brought us into the classroom. Now remember, here I am with your two brothers in tow and two daycare kids in tow. So I have you, a 4 year old, a 3 year old and two 18 month olds in a double stroller and she wants me to see you read. All hell is breaking loose. Steffie is as good as gold in the stroller, Kevin's crying 'cause he wants out, Scott Michael is running around in circles and your brother Scott goes straight to the blocks and starts throwing them. And the teacher wants me to see you read. Ok, so I'm trying to concentrate on you and sure enough you can read! I felt like such a dumbass. But a proud dumbass.

I remember your first hockey practice and the coach had to come get you because you couldn't skate to where they were. The first of so much time in a hockey rink. And, I enjoyed every moment of it.

Anyway, here's some pictures you might enjoy seeing. I can't post "the good ones" 'cause I sent them up to Aunt Karen when she did the 25th anniversary video for us but here's some that I like:






I don't know why the above photos came out so small. I tried to get them bigger but don't know how. Jeff! Come home and help me!! LOL!!

Jeff in the middle with his best friend, Jason and his girlfriend, Chanel.

Jeff and Jason at a party. What kind of party was it Jeff? I forget but they got dressed up in some funny clothes. Now, I just want to note that Jeff is 6'2" tall. Look at Jason. That's one big boy! And nice? Very. Jeff has good taste in friends.

Jeff and Jason being "White and Nerdy". I will just note that Donny Osmond was in the Weird Al video. Sorry! Just had to say it!

So, there's my "ode to Jeffrey". I love you, Jeff and am very, very proud to be your mom!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Jeff!!!!

Whew, 21 already - it may feel to you like it's taken a long time to come that far, but to me it's been MINUTES!

You have always been such a sweet person - I'll never forget your "Guy Smiley" impersonation at CeeCee's house. You did it at my request DOZENS of times, and it just never failed to make me laugh! I don't remember you EVER being mean to anyone else, even when the other kids were younger and would have been easy to pick on. And all that, it spite of the fact that your momma bragged endlessly about how brilliant and wonderful you were. Such humility in the face of that kind of PR - amazing! :)

Remember your travel hockey trip to Montreal - that was one GREAT pizza place!!! Good thing I had such great travelling companions!

As proud of you as your parents are, I'm that proud to be your aunt as well. And I know the rest of my little crew, way up here in Upstate New York, agree - happy
21st, "Jeffy", we love you!

A giant hug to my giant boy - with love, Aunt Kim. xoxo

Anonymous said...

ps - Can't believe I actually got here before Scotty - a FIRST!!!

Apparently, one good comment deserves another - stop me before I comment again!!!! :) Aunt Kim

Judy said...

Happy Birthday Jeff!!!

Great post Sandy!

Anonymous said...

Let me embellish on the collicky baby thing ... Sandy, do you remember when we went up to my boat for a weekend at the dock? Poor Jeff! Cried and cried and cried!! After that weekend you found out that he was collicky because the pablum you were feeding him had iron in it. Once you changed that, everything was great. I have pics of you and Jeff sitting on a blanket in the grass in front of our slip.

I also remember that when Jeff was just born, I had whiplash, so I'd come visit with you during the day at your townhouse. I felt so sorry for you when he cried all the time! So when he would finally get to sleep, you would make me WHISPER so we wouldn't wake him up. Boy, for the Loud Family, that was tough request! ha ha

Happy Birthday Jeff! Hard to believe you are 21!

Love, Karen xo