Monday, May 19, 2008

Update on Everything

Boy, I have so much to update everyone on (I know Kim and mom - that's a dangling participle).

First off, my hip. It's doing quite a bit better. I started physio last Monday and went Monday, Wednesday, Friday and then again this morning (Monday). It's going quite well. At first, they worked me too hard so I expressed my concern (at the urging of my momma and daddy) and they moved back to a more manageable rate. The difference between last Monday and today is remarkable. I walked out with no pain today. Yeah!!
Relay for Life was great. So many things to talk about. First, my speech. I thought it went very well. It was a bit too long because I could tell that the audience was getting restless (it was about 7 minutes, I think) but, the fellow survivors really enjoyed it so I think it was ok. I spoke about my experience with cancer and how having a good attitude and sense of humour about what's happening is key to getting through it. I gave examples like cancergirl, my sister coming for a visit, getting presents and cards and having a nice shaped head.
For those of you who don't know what Relay for Life is, it's a fundraiser for the Cancer Society. I have been doing it for about 10 years on and off. I started off in Connecticut with my Junior Women's Club and then continued a few times down here in Florida. There is always a track. Then teams join. The teams have spots around the track where they can set up tents and tables and sell "stuff" or have games for fundraising. It always starts on a Friday at around 6 pm and goes through the night to around 10 am. They keep it fun and there's always lots of contests (for example one was guys dressing up as girls to see who's prettiest and they're judged, another was hula hoop, another was bingo. Then there's laps where everyone wears cowboy stuff, togas, etc...). It's really fun.
They also have a luminary ceremony. People put the names of their loved ones who have passed or survived cancer and there's a nice ceremony and then a silent walk in tribute to these people. It's very moving and beautiful. I thought a lot about my grandmother who was taken way too early in life. She died when I was in grade 8. I loved her so much. She was so special and patient. She would play the piano for hours for Judy and I (Yellow Bird over and over - remember, Jude?) and always made our favourite foods and chatted with us. She died of breast cancer. She was one of the first women in her town to actually say that they have breast cancer. It wasn't something most people talked about and I'm so proud to be her granddaughter. Anyway, here's pictures of the luminaries and the track with the luminaries lined up along it:




Well, at our tent we had jail n bail. It was a blast. A blasty blast! One way of getting into jail is for us to arrest you. We just walk up to you and arrest you and take you off to "jail" (a dinner tent). You have to raise $3 to get out of jail. You can pay it yourself or beg other people to bail you out. Another way is that someone can pay us $1 and we will arrest someone else. They show us who to arrest and we go get 'em. Then they have to raise $3 to get out. There's another thing where they can buy a sticker for $10 to stay out of jail for the whole night. Anyway, this was so fun and we made a ton of money. I think we made about $500 off this thing. We also sold bubbles and rice crispie treats and Krispy Kreme donuts. In the end our team made $600 for Cancer. Jeff, Scott, and Kevin were key in this because they were out there arresting people and making lots of money. I think they had a good time, too. Thank you for helping, boys! And for wheeling me around all over the place - I love you more than words can say!
It was interesting having been a speaker at the beginning of the evening. Many, many people came up to me and told me how good my speech was and wanted to know more about me and my family and wanted to talk about their experience with cancer. I liked it but it was also sad because a lot of people have lost their loved ones to this shitty disease.
Let's see, what else.....Oh!! I totally missed my dad's birthday. I am soooo sorry dad!! You know I love you and I don't think I've ever missed your birthday before. I really am so sorry. My excuse is that I had a very busy day and don't really know what the date is on anyday but, really, there is no good enough excuse so I just apologize!!
Oh, speaking of that day, I went to see my radiation oncologist. My skin is doing well. I'm now peeling. My poor boobie!! He spoke to me of the various tests I need to do. We scheduled an MRI for September and then a mammogram for a week later. The MRI is important because my particular cancer didn't show up on the mammogram. Scary, eh?
Oh, and I'm having a dilemma. I don't know if I mentioned this but when I went to the orthopedic surgeon? I hated him. He was very dismissive and maybe even a little condescending. It really bugged me and I don't want to go back to him. So, I'm looking for a new one. So, when I asked my family physician for a referral he gave me the name of Dr. Kilgore. Then, when I talked to my physiotherapist she gave me that same name. But, when I talked to my chemo nurses (I went for Herceptin on Friday) she gave me the name of a different doctor and when I called my surgeon he game me the name of another different doctor. So, I'm confused and don't know who to go to. I have an appointment with Kilgore in early June. The only problem with him is that he's down in Clearwater. It's about 1/2 hour away. The other two doctor's are right around the corner (I'm talking 5 minutes away) and would do the hip replacements at the hospital in the same location. I really don't know what I'm going to do. I'll probably go to the one that my surgeon recommended because I trust this man (obviously) with my life. I'll let you know when I figure it out.
Let's see, what else. Oh! Andrew's gone to Europe for a couple of weeks. Scott and I were going to go with him but with this hip thing coming up we decided not to but.....if Scott's passport comes in in the next couple of days I think we will go. I really, really want to go to Stockholm. There's an office there and the girls who work in this office are really nice and really fun. One of them, Nora, is running in a marathon on Saturday and I really would like to be there to cheer her on. Anyway, it'll all depend on whether Scott's passport comes in 'cause I can't go alone. I probably need to take my wheelchair and I need someone to wheel me around.
OK, I think that's all. Oh, I want to thank Whitney for coming to see me speak and I want to thank Christy for, well, being Christy. I love you!
TTFN

7 comments:

Judy said...

So glad to hear the Relay and your speech were a huge success!

And yes, who could forget Yellow Bird? "Up high in banana tree" (always with my island accent! LOL!)
God I miss her...

I'll never forget one Christmas where she told me that she had got all of us girls the same gift and later I tried to trick her by asking what she got you. She was on to me though! lol!!

I hope it all works out for you and Scott and you get to join Andrew! That would be fantastic for you!

Oh, and a belated Happy Birthday Unc!!!! Love you!

Sandy C said...

Was that the year we all got jewelry boxes?

Holly said...

wow - sounds like a great relay for life and kudos to you for a great speech. Did anyone record it? Um... youtube it?

hope physio continues to treat you well!

Judy said...

Yes, it was. I cherish that thing..it's still full of all the junk jewellery I accumulated over the years..lol!

Anonymous said...

I wish i could have heard your speech...I am going to warm up the crowd at the local Relay for Life on June 21. Getting all those people to Jazzercise, what a rush! It looks like you had a real blast....

Afrodite

Anonymous said...

YES! I still have that jewelry box on my dresser! I actually forgot where it came from!

Mona (my business partner in the charity exercise videos - doing a cancer one too!) is warming up the crowd on June 6th in Barrie at the Relay for Life. I'll be there with our booth. We are also having a cancer survivor's retreat at Burleigh Island Lodge if you know anyone who wants to come. I'm working on the dates right now with Burleigh.

Hope you get to go to Europe, S.

your sister, k

Anonymous said...

You are a busy! Tell me just HOW does one survivor present speaches, hold fundraisers, okay KAYAKING with a bad hip and cane no less...what are you freakin wonder woman!??
I really have to work on my BLOG and my LIFE ! LOL LOL

Laurie