Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Too Much Testosterone!!

OMG! I must say there was way too much testosterone in my house this weekend. Here's what happened:

Scott came home Friday. He mentioned something about a bet he and his friend, Nate, had made. Now, Nate is Scott's gambling buddy, bowling buddy, basketball buddy...that kind of friend. And he's Canadian to boot! Nice kid, in general. Anyway, turns out the bet is that Scott is supposed to do 5 push-ups every 5 minutes for 8 hours. I'm not great at math (which is why I married an accountant) so I don't know exactly how many push-ups that is but I do know it's a lot. I didn't think they'd actually do it but at noon? Scott and I are sitting at the computer table. I'm on one computer, he's on the other and all of a sudden he gets down and does 5 push-ups......five minutes later, another 5 push-ups. Well, this is just the beginning.

Within fifteen minutes, Nate is over at our house. Every five minutes Scott's down doing push-ups. They're playing online poker together and talking sports. The two of them are having a great time.

Now, all this time, Andrew's painting doors to our bedroom, Kevin's gone for his daily workout so we've got "manly things" happening all over the place. It was really weird. At one point Nate's at one computer playing online poker. Scott's helping or playing with him. I dunno, but they confer and then Nate makes a move. I'm on the other computer. We're having a little conversation between hands and all of a sudden, Scott's back on the floor doing these push-ups again. No break in the conversation. Seriously, weird.

Then, around 5:00 the two of them suddenly get bored and decide to go play basketball. Off they go and come back 45 minutes later, all sweaty and gross. They've decided Scott has to do 30 push-ups in a certain amount of time to make good on the bet. He does this. Then Kevin decides to get in on the action and he's supposed to do a certain amount of push-ups in a certain amount of time. He misses by one push-up. Andrew's in and out of the house in his paint-covered clothes and by this time? I can see the testosterone in the air!! LOL!!

We ate dinner and off the boys went to meet Jeff and his girlfriend, Chanel, at Winghouse to watch some UFC Fights. More testosterone but I'm glad it was out of my house!!

What a day that was!

It is now 3:30 in the morning. I can't sleep...again. This is becoming a regular thing for me but it's not about chemo drugs, anymore. It's about hot flashes. You know, I used to hear women complain about hot flashes and I'd think "Oh c'mon, how bad can it be?". That's because I was always cold. Well, I gotta tell you, these things? They're freaking powerful. They start around my neck and move into my head. From there it's like a huge fireball that spreads down all the way to my toes. It lasts about 2 minutes and then it slowly disapates. Then, you're left kinda wet and gross but it gets worse. You're kinda wet so what happens then? You get a little chill. This happens about once every half hour and it doesn't seem to let a little sleeping get in the way. Oh no. It happens all night long and is not something to be ignored. Ugh!

I mentioned this to my doctor and she said I can't go on Hormone Replacement Therapy because of my type of cancer but that I can go on anti-depressants to help with the hot flashes. I kind of pooh poohed that away but when I go for chemo on Thursday? I'm walking away with a prescription 'cause I can't take this anymore. I'm exhausted! I'm waking up at least every hour every night. Again...ugh!

Now, I have gone on about the bad things about chemo....losing my hair, eyebrows, hot flashes, nausea, bone pain, muscle pain, losing all sense of taste, heightened sense of smell, tingly fingers, jumpy legs, losing sleep, rashes (did I mention rashes?). There have been some good things, too, though.

#1 I don't have to shave my armpits

#2 Showering doesn't take very long with no shampooing

#3 My skin is really soft. I usually have oily skin with a few blemishes here and there. Chemo dries out your skin so all of a sudden I have normal skin. It's so soft! I love it!

#4 I have really beautiful nails. They're so beautiful they look fake!

#5 The hot flashes gave me an excuse to go on Donny.com and buy a battery powered fan with Donny's autograph on it!! fan? $5 shipping? $10!!! can you say rip off? LOL!!

#6 When my taste buds "go" for that 4 or 5 days? All I can taste is sweet things so I use that as an excuse to eat Smoothies and entire Vanilla cakes. That's right, I said it - entire Vanilla cakes. Hey!! I'm still Cancergirl....I can do what I want!!

OK, that's it. I'm exhausted and this is way too long.
G'Night Everybody!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, just to make sure all the details are told correctly about the pushup story... I did the pushups til 6:15 which was 370 pushups then when we got back all I had to do was 30 agonizing pushups in a row w/out a rest and I don't think I coulda gotten 31. Then Kevin, the smart child that he is, bets Nate he can do 370 pushups in 30 minutes after already working out that day. Somehow he got 363 of them which is pretty incredible. I still don't see how you can come up short after gettin that far but its all good. Just figured I'd make sure readers know all the facts. Keep on keepin' on mom.

Anonymous said...

I know about the hot flashes, Sandy. I've started them. It's actually kind of cool and freaks Jeff out more than me. I say 'Heeerrreee it comes!' and whoosh! I'm a tomato. He gets freaked out, and I laugh. But I AM getting a portable fan for my office, our bedroom, my office at home ..... you get the picture! But I admit I hate getting them during the night. It's exactly like you said! The heat then the chills. xoxo Karen

Judy said...

LOL...a Donny fan...you've got to be kidding! Too bad they didn't have something else battery powered with Donny's picture on it! LOL!! Oops, sorry, is this a family oriented blog?? I stayed out of the religion fracas but hot flashes and batteries..I'm right there!
Couldn't you make up some other reason for the hot flashes...something more scintillating and steamy...otherwise I DON'T WANT TO START HAVING THEM...EVER...LOL!!

Sandy C said...

Well, I am in bed beside Andrew. And the flashes do move down my body. Is that scintillating enough? ROFL!!!

Anonymous said...

My poor sister is always sweating...! mom says it the hot flashes,but personally I have them and Iam a frocking guy !..my nose gets wet and my neck gets very wet in the nights..dang I couldn't sleep..My room temperature could freeze a baby to death but Lord knows if Iam straight !

Do men have hot flashes???

Anonymous said...

...Just to add to what I've alrady said, My sister and I have a lot of towel than any item in the house, and one might think if we haev a factory hidden in our back yard.

Sometimes we had to bath with Iced cold water and within minutes my frocking nose is wet !...my fore-head is wet,under my lower lip is wet and dang !THAT'S CRAZY...maybe my creator wasn't supposed to put me on to this ya planet...Need to go to Russia and live maybe.