Thursday, February 28, 2008

I'm Back

Wow, it's been quite a while since I last posted. Here's what's happened in the past few days.

Thursday I went for my last chemo. We made it into a party. Kevin took the day off school to come with us. Mom & dad came, too. I made some carrot cake so it would be a true celebration. My friends Christy and Whitney both dropped by. It was very nice.

Friday Andrew came home. Kevin & I went to pick him up at the airport and then the three of us went out for dinner. I actually wore a wig. Andrew said it looked real. I believed him, actually. I think I'll start wearing the wigs more. Especially when we're in Vegas.

Since then, I've just been in pain. It hit me on Saturday. The sharp, shooting pains really only went away this morning and now I just have a nagging ache in my hips. So, basically the last week I've been concentrating on the clock and when I get to take my next pill. That's over with, now, thank goodness!! My momma came and spent Monday and Tuesday with me. She's sure getting some bad habits from me. First, American Idol and now? smoothies. I asked her to go get me a smoothie on Monday and she has discovered that they're really good! hmmmm.....can you be a bad influence on your mother? LOL!!

Speaking of bad influences on their mother - both my college boys are coming home this weekend. I love when they come home!! Yippee!!

We were going to go to the Renaissance Festival on Saturday but I'm not up to it so we'll have to go another weekend.

This Sunday we go to see Alan Jackson at the Strawberry Festival with my mom and dad. The tickets were only $40 and it's a really, really small stadium so we'll be nice and close. Should be fun. I'm kind of worried about getting around. My hips have hurt so badly for the past 5 days that I've been lying in bed most of the time so I don't know how much stamina I'll have to wander around. The good thing is that my dad had both knees replaced this summer so he's in about the same boat as me. We can sit on benches together. LOL!!

On Wednesday next week I go to see the oncologist who will do my radiation. When I called they said they usually start it three to five weeks after the last chemo so I'll probably start shortly after we get back from Vegas. I'm kinda nervous about radiation. I've heard of some people who sail through and just do it and I've heard of others who get really sick and tired from it and the area gets really burned badly. My chemo nurse said that it seems to run in correlation to your skin type and that red heads get burned the most and then blondes and on down the line. Since I'm more of a blonde skin-type I just don't know what will happen. I guess we'll see and I'll just try not to worry about it. Easier said than done.

That's all for now. No funny stories 'cause all I've been doing is lying in bed, bored and in pain. Not much fun in that.

TTFN

3 comments:

Unknown said...

just for the record, i was not attending the renaissance festival. i aint no queer. hang in there madre, see ya soon.

Vanessa said...

^hahaha laughing at your boy's comment :-)

Sandy you are amazing. You never cease to have that amazing sense of humor despite pain, fear, or worry. All I know is you are loved tremendously (and hell, by a buncha girls who haven't even met you!), and we are all praying for you everyday. Radiation isn't as bad as it may seem, but I know that you are afraid of the unknowns. My Nonnie went through it and that is what kept her alive for so many months battling lung cancer. She said she never regretted it!!
Just keep on smiling and being yourself. And even though your son is queer, we still forgive you :-)

KIDDING SCOTT!! ( i don't even know him and im talking like i do, hahah)

Judy said...

Just keeping thinking about how fabulous Vegas is going to be and try to forget that "other stuff" for now!
Listen to me..trying to be "helpful..probably not..I can only imagine what you're going through. You're amazing and I'm so glad you're doing this blog! Love you to bunches!

Alan Jackson is great...saw him last fall with Brooks and Dunn..really good!

LOL...at Scott's comment!!!