Sunday, February 10, 2008

Weekend Wrapup

Thursday: Had chemo. Doctor gave me a prescription for Effexor to help with the hot flashes. I haven't gotten it filled because Kevin mentioned that some of these drugs have some pretty weird side effects. I went online and it's kinda scary and....one of the side effects can be "sweating". Well, hello!! I'm trying to get rid of the hot flashes. Another is migraine headaches. Well, I'm prone to migraines & frankly? I'd rather have hot flashes then a migraine. So, I'm going to have to look into this further. My sister's a Nurse Practitioner so I'll call her and run it by her. If she can't help me I'll ask the pharmacist. Anyway, then I went to bed at 11 pm & woke up at 1 am. Finally got up at 2 am 'cause I kept waking up Andrew with all my tossing & turning. Played on the computer all night.

Friday: Went to the doctor with Jeff & then took he and his girlfriend for breakfast. Saw a woman there who was growing back her hair from chemo. I was dying to ask how long ago she finished but didn't get up the guts to do it. Kicked Jeff & Chanel out of the house around 1pm with every intention of taking a nap but I just couldn't sleep so I played on the computer some more. Kevin took me for my Neulasta shot (the one that helps my white blood cells) and then I came home and finally crashed. Woke up around 7pm. Andrew & I dragged Kevin to a wine tasting (there were chocolate covered strawberries so he was ok with it) and then the three of us headed over to The Melting Pot for dinner. It's a fondue restaurant. We love it. Took my "Donny" fan with me and had to use it. I love it, too! LOL!! Unfortunately (I think I've mentioned this before) the chemo really affects my taste buds. Weirdly enough, I can only taste "sweet" things so I didn't enjoy dinner as much as I would have normally. Still, the whole fondue experience is fun.

Saturday: Pain day. I was pretty miserable. Between not being able to taste food and having muscle and bone pain? I was pretty cranky. I also had this weird tingling in my hands and feet. It makes walking painful and anything to do with my hands painful, too. So Andrew had to do just about everything for me - like opening any pill bottles, even my water bottle. Makes me feel really helpless but it only lasted for that day so I'm not complaining too much. I made Andrew buy me another vanilla cake. I don't know if I've mentioned this before but when I'm miserable with the side-effects of chemo? Vanilla cake makes me feel soooo much better! Last week? I ate an entire cake! hmmmm....wonder why I'm gaining weight, eh? LOL!!

Sunday: Not too bad. The foot & hand tingling have gone away for the most part. Andrew, Kevin & I went over to The Sports Authority to pick up more of those under armour shirts. On Saturday night I woke up twice with horrible night sweats and was soaking wet. I didn't want to wake Andrew up to change the sheets so I just changed my jammies and put a dry towel over the wet sheets. Not that comfortable. Hopefully these shirts will help keep me dry. Andrew & I dropped Kevin off at home and went "driving". We headed down to Clearwater beach and ended up going through a bunch of open houses. A couple of condos right on the beach and then a $3.2 million home. Wow! It was beautiful and no, we didn't pretend we were in the market. We just wowed and ohhed and awed. Listen, if these people want to open up their doors for an open house I'm willing to go in. LOL!!

So right now it's midnight on Sunday. I didn't get up till 11 am so I can't sleep yet. I watched the grammy's. Boy! It was crappy this year. Tina Turner was good and the Foo Fighters but other than that? Amy Winehouse? Seriously. WTF!!?? I just don't see what the big deal is. I might be getting old. And....did you see Andy Williams? I didn't even know he was still alive.

So, that's my update. Not very exciting. I never have an exciting time after my chemo. To be expected, I guess. Andrew's going to Europe on Tuesday for a week and a half. He'll be back in time for my next and last "bad weekend after chemo". Thank goodness this is almost done. I'm pretty sick of chemo and being bald and co-ordinating hats/scarves with my clothes.

TTFN!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Damn, missed out on the melting pot. Happy that this whole chemo thing is almost over, what a crappy little speed bump. I guess boring response comes with boring blog, nah just kidding. Love reading the updates. Gimme a call to chat whenever, I think you know with my crazy hours thats pretty much any time. Love ya.

Jeff said...

Haha, just like Scott, I'm kinda upset about missing the Melting Pot....I love that place. Oh well. I'm very happy that your chemo's almost done.

And don't worry, you not getting what the big deal is about Amy Winehouse has nothing to do with you being old, because I think she's awful too. I'm not saying you're not old (I don't wanna lie to you), but disliking Amy Winehouse shows that at least you still have some taste in music.

Love ya,
Jeff

Judy said...

Hey, if vanilla cake works, so be it! What's a little pound here and there! LOL!!

I can't agree with you more about Amy Winehouse...I do NOT get it...AT ALL!!!

I'm so happy to hear you're almost finished with the chemo....{{HUGS}}

Love you!