Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunny Sunday

As you can see, I've added a new element to my page. It's over to your right, see? I'm asking each and every one of you to click on this link and then click on the pink button that says click here. It's a site that accumulates "clicks" and then trades them in for free mammograms for women who can't afford them. My sister, Karen, sent this to me and I'd love if each of you would click on this link every time you come to check in on my blog. Together, we can save lives. Wow! what a dramatic statement, eh? LOL!!

We're having a great weekend here in sunny Florida. First on Friday, my friend Christy and I went out floor shopping and then out for lunch. This girl is so sunny. Just a delight to spend time with. I was telling her how I seem to have "dropped out" of society for the time being. I don't tend to return phone calls (sorry to the people I've done this to!!), I don't go out many places but, Christy? Man, this girl is relentless. She calls and calls and e-mails and e-mails and just keeps at it until I call her and then? Being with her is so effortless. First off, her mom went through chemo a few years ago so I don't even have to explain "my tingly fingers" or "the shooting pains in my legs" to her. Also, she's quite similar to me and could talk to a wall, if you know what I mean. So, when we're together, it's very even. I don't have to keep up the conversation and be "on". I just love her!! I tend to pick people like this as best friends, I've noticed. So...to you Kim, Deb, Mom, Whitney, Christy....thanks for keeping up your end of the conversation and calling me all the time - I love each one of you!!

Scotty came home on Friday. He and Kevin went to dinner with friends and then to the movies. I had the house (and more importantly, the computer) all to myself on Friday night. Now, wouldn't you think I was happy about that? Well, no. Not really. I kept inviting myself to dinner and movies with the kids but they wouldn't let me come. I remember when they were little and I was going out they would sometimes beg me to take them with me....well, haven't the tables turned!! Now I'm the one begging! LOL!!!

Saturday was a gorgeous, perfect day. I decided to take the boys out for lunch. We went to one of my favourite restaurants, Jack Willie's, with every intention of sitting outside. Well, this place was packed. There was a band outside and, get this.....they were playing disco music!! ROFL!! I'm pretty sure the boys were glad the outside area was full. That music would have made them crazy!! Anyway, we ended up eating inside. So, we're chatting - well, mostly I'm chatting...and I see a plateful of onion rings go by. Now, this place has really good onion rings. So I kinda growled and said "mmm look at those!". Ok, Ok, it's probably not common to growl but I like growling and do so quite often. It lets people know how I'm feeling - growling can say "get away from me", "I'm mad at you", "Oh! that looks good", "Oh! I love that" - many, many things. Try it! No, really, try it! Like a pirate. Feels good, eh?

Anyway, so the conversation goes on and Scott tells me that he tells all his friends that I'm crazy. I'm not kidding!! He tells his friends that I'm crazy!! So, just because I growl, I'm crazy? Well, I am totally and utterly offended by this. Rendered speachless, and we all know that doesn't happen very often. So, I'm going to try to be "normal" from now on. I'm thinking it probably won't work, but it's worth the effort to not have a reputation for being crazy. Ya know, I don't mind being called weird, but crazy? That's not good. So, I'm going to try to change. Wish me luck on that one!! ROFL!!

Then, last night we went to my mom and dad's for Kevin's birthday dinner. His birthday is actually on Tuesday but he wants to make dinner himself that night. And he thinks I'm crazy? Weirdo. Anyway, my dad makes these awesome hamburgers so we enjoyed that.

While we're on this subject? My youngest is turning 18!!!! OMG!! I'm getting fucking old here, people!! Old!!! Now, I know you're all going.."well, yah, you dumb-ass, you just had your 45th birthday". But, that didn't really phase me. I think it's because I was busy with chemo, but, holy shit!! My youngest is turning 18!!! This means my kids are 18, 19 & 20 and I'm fucking old. There ya have it. So...I've decided that I want a birthday party next year. I was demanding one for my 45th but then cancer came and I was bald and not feeling well and I decided no party. Next year? F that S. I want a party!! I haven't had one since I was 13 and I want one. So...next year, around December 15th? There will be a party so if you want an invite just comment on here and I'll add you to the list. teehee!!

No plans for today. I'm gearing up for my last chemo. I'm going to make a carrot cake and take it in for a celebration. If I do say so myself, I make the best damned carrot cake in the land so those chemo nurses are in for a treat. Yummo!!

I'm also gearing up for Vegas. Unfortunately, I've eaten my way through chemo so I have to take out my "semi-fat" clothes. That means, I've gained some weight back but not all the weight back. Oh! - this is important - I also tried on my bathing suits and they don't show the port! This is huge, ok? I may reconsider getting the port out, now. I know, I know, how vain! Whatever!! But, all my bathing suits are halter style and they hide the port. I'm really happy about this and that I don't have to go bathing suit shopping before Vegas 'cause everyone knows that bathing suit shopping sucks... right ladies? While I'm in Vegas I'm planning on doing nothing. Just sitting by the pool and reading. That's it. Well, you know, we're going back in July so I can "do the strip" then and I've been there before, too, so it's not like I haven't seen it. So, relaxing by the pool is it for me. Ahhhh! Perfect.

Oh, funny story. I was going to the doctor's on Thursday. I parked behind the building. That parking is for two different buildings so all kinds of people park there. So, as I'm walking up between the buildings these two ladies are right behind me - one is around my age and the other is her mom. This is how it goes:
Younger Girl: "Oh look, mom, she's wearing a doo-rag! I love those!"
Mom: "What's a doo-rag?"
Daughter: "It's a really cool scarf. You put all your hair up under the scarf and it's really cool. Like that." (I assume she's pointing at me)
Mom: "Honey, I don't think she has any hair."
Daughter: "No, mom, you don't understand, she has it all tucked up under the doo-rag."
Mom: "No, honey, I'm pretty sure she doesn't have any hair. That's a cancer clinic." (I'm assuming she points to my cancer building)

So, at this point, I'm laughing at the whole conversation and kind of excited that she thinks I'm cool and I turn around and so "Nope, I'm bald. As a cue ball." I said this laughing to they'd know I wasn't offended and went into my building. I just thought this was really funny!

Well, that's all for now. I have to go finish Scott's laundry (that's my lure to get him home so often!! ROFL!!!) and Kevin has a pancake ready for me (he makes the best pancakes in the history of man!!). MMMMM This kid is such a good cook! And he wants to go in the Navy! He should be a chef, I tell you. LOL!!

TTFN!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

In my defense I never said your being crazy is a bad thing. I think being different is awesome and boy are you ever. As for you ever changing the fact...not gonna happen, but good luck with that. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Here's an idea ... Kevin can be a cook on a ship. I know someone who did that, and now he's the chef on the Rolling Stones tours.

Happy Final Chemo Day, Sandy! YOU DID IT! xoxoxo karen

Anonymous said...

Paybacks - you write a long entry, I write a long comment!!!

First, I feel I have to take some responsibility for the fact that you want to tag along when your kids go out - wish I could count all the times you tagged along on my dates! And somehow, when YOU were there, they all ended at Dairy Queen..... Go figure! :)

As for growling at food - it's kind of a standing joke at my house that Poppa (your daddy, may I remind you!) routinely makes a noise over good food that is somewhere between a growl and a prolonged grunt. So I think you come by that one honestly! Happily, his trait was cut in half by CeeCee's more dignified gene pool, otherwise, you'd break a SWEAT over a really spectacular dish!!!!! (Sorry, Dad, no disrespect - frankly, I LOVE it that you are such a Zen eater - to experience such joy over ANYTHING is a gift.)

But I do want to know if Kevin's awesome pancakes cause you to emit a growl......

Third, why in hell is there any debate about this tiny word "crazy"??? You're kidding, right? You growl at food - and, I'm sure, other delectable things not mentioned here - you are a Donnie Osmond stalker, and you LEAVE Florida to lie by a pool in Vegas, when half of us would sacrifice a limb to GO TO Florida in February!!!!! Sorry, Scotty's right, babe - you're crazy as a loon!!!!! But lovably so.....

Lastly (I promise), I am SOOOOO PROUD of you for talking to that mom and daughter in the parking lot! I know how terribly difficult it has been for you to cope with others' stares and overheard comments, and that typically you've folded up and not engaged them in conversation. A response which could be considered normal in anyone else, but in our bubbly/chatty/could-talk-to-a-wall (your phrase) Sandy? Unbelievable! But this time, you just enjoyed the conversation, chimed in in a way that would not be uncomfortable for them, and moved on - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You broke the bubble - how liberating! I'm very, very proud of you. Your ability to chat up anyone, in any situation, is one of the qualities I love most in you, and it seems you've reclaimed it. I think you just spit in cancer's eye, girl! Break out that tiara, perch it atop your baldie little noggin, and be proud!

I love you so much, and continue to beam good energy your way every single day. Only one more of those fucking lousy chemo treatments (I'm VERY jealous of the chemo nurses, since they'll get to eat your truly wonderful carrot cake) - on to "suntan therapy", and you can kick cancer to the curb! Hang in there, babe - we're all with you, the "Sandy's Shit" faithful!

Love, Kim xoxoxo

Holly said...

I clicked!!! :)

PS. Fool's Gold is still good - just maybe rent it :) It's a no-brainer, but still entertaining... Judy doesn't know what she's talking about when it comes to movies! LOL...

Judy said...

First of all..please do NOT become normal!! Normal = BORING!!!

Second...you are not crazy..you are unique! Can you tell I've repeated this on more than one occasion...yes, you and I are VERY similar (so if I admit you're crazy, well then... lol!!

Third...could my "friends" please not come over here and comment about me!!! I immediately emailed and reprimanded her...reminding her that I did NOT say it was awful! I just said it was not as good as I had hoped and there are others out right now that are far better. Geesh...LOL!!!!