Tuesday, March 18, 2008

One Down, 29 To Go.....

I went for my first radiation today. It's really an easy procedure. Here's how it went.

I go in and sign in. I walk right in and go to the change area. I change into a gown on the top part only, lock my purse and clothes in a locker and go wait to be called. They call me in and I lie on a hard, narrow bed with a huge, huge machine all around me. The nice part is that in the ceiling, built into the lights is a beautiful mural of a beach with two palm trees and looking out into the ocean. They move me around a little to make sure my tattoos match up with the machines lights. Then they explain that they'll take an x-ray first to make sure I'm matched up properly and then they'll do the actual radiation. The x-ray is done and they come back into the room about 3 minutes later, adjust me a little and then the radiation starts. I know it's happening when there's a high whining sound. The first one is for 25 seconds (I counted). Then the machine moves and the next one is for 32 seconds, then the machine moves and the next one is for 25 seconds then the machine moves and the last one is for 36 seconds. That's it. They come in and tell me "you're done. See you tomorrow."

Easy, eh? I think, ok, that's easy. And then it hits me I have to go back every weekday for 6 weeks. So, as per my sister Karen's suggestion with chemo, I have started a calendar and will X off each day and get through day by day. It really, really helped with the chemo so I know it'll work with radiation.

I want to give a special shout out to Stephanie Rathmann. Stephanie was one of my "daycare kids" when I lived in Barrie. She and her brother were my favourites along with their mom. I'm still in touch with them after all these years and have a very special spot in my heart for them. Anyway, this sweet girl sent me a very funny card. Her mom had told her I love cards so she sent me one to lift my spirits. How sweet is that? Thank you Stef. I still love you after all this time!!

That's all for today.
G'Nite Everybody!!
4 months and 3 days till I see Donny!!

No comments: