Friday, March 7, 2008

We're Off to Vegas!!

One last entry before we head to Vegas.....

Oh! Before we start, could you click on the Breast Cancer site button over here? --------->

Thanks!

I went to see the Radiation Oncologist on Wednesday. Andrew came with me (I checked first to make sure there would be no blood taken. LOL!!). Very, very nice doctor. He sat down and chatted with us for a long time just to make sure we understood everything. It's funny because when I thought I was having a lumpectomy and then radiation, radiation seemed so big. Now? Since I ended up having chemo, radiation just seems like the light at the end of the tunnel. And this doctor really understood that and voiced it. I was also complaining about the amount of weight I'd gained during chemo and he said most women gain about 20 lbs with chemo for breast cancer. So, we gain weight and lose our hair? I'd sure like it to have been the other way around! LOL!

After he chatted with us and explained how radiation works (they target the breast without getting the heart and lungs underneath), I went to get a mapping CT scan. I guess this is different from a regular CT scan in that it's a shorter period of time and they're specifically trying to figure out where my heart and lungs are and how to set up the radiation machine to miss them. I had to lie there with my arms over my head while they moved me around and then went through the machine. I thought it would be a piece of cake but, I'm telling you, when we got in about 25 minutes I was in some major pain. My back hurt, my head hurt and my arms were killing me. Then.....they tattooed me!! That's right, I am now tattooed!! (Couldn't let Kevin have all the glory, right? LOL!!) I have three small dots. One under my right arm, one right in the middle of my boobs and one under my left arm. Now when I go in for my radiation they just line me up with the dots and radiate me (takes about 3 minutes, total). When they were finished the tattoos I was allowed to get up but my arms wouldn't move so she had to lift my arms down for me. I tell you, I don't know how some of the fragile older people would be able to endure that procedure.

I start radiation on Tuesday, March 17. I go every week day for 30 treatments. Then I'm done that phase and I just have to do the Herceptin every 3 weeks until next February and then I'm completely done. I actually didn't realize, until this doctor told me, that Herceptin is a form of chemo. It's very low-dose, won't lose my hair over it, chemo - but still, it's chemo. I just didn't know that.

As an aside, this doctor is really nice, as I said before but....he speaks with a southern accent and says OK a lot. Well, have you ever seen the guidance counsellor on South Park? He sounded so much like him that, at first, it was hard to concentrate on what he was saying 'cause I kept thinking of South Park. Weird. I know.

So, that's all on the cancer-front for now. If I could get these damned hot flashes under control I'd be much happier and rested. They wake me up every night and I throw the covers off, then I get cold so I put the covers back on and then that cycle continues several more times throughout the night. Last night I had a headache as I went to bed so I took a Tylenol PM and slept like a baby. Unfortunately, I don't think I can do that every night but it's good to know. The doctor said the Effexor (the stuff I'm taking to help with the hot flashes) won't take effect until I've been taking it for 2 weeks and I've only been taking it for just over a week. Hopefully that'll kick in soon.

OK, I'm off to continue packing and to get a manicure/pedicure (thank you Mrs. Hall!!!). The doctor was concerned about me flying and the germs I will encounter so I have to take a lot of Airbourne before we go to try and boost my immune system a little. It would suck to get sick in Vegas, eh? I'm so looking forward to this trip. Not only to be back in Vegas (which I love!) but to be able to spend time with Andrew after this long ordeal of chemo. Scott and Jeff have their March breaks next week so Kevin won't have to be alone for the whole time. I'm glad about that 'cause I would feel really guilty leaving him all alone for a week. Now, I just have to get through the flights (I hate, hate, hate flying - my ears don't pop, I get air-sick and claustrophobic - just a joy to fly with. LOL!!) and then we should start having some fun! WOOHOO!!!

TTFN!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh the tomfoolery and chicanery that will take place in the Callin household while you're gone. Nah, I just really like those two words so I figured I'd throw em in there. See ya soon.

Holly said...

have a great trip!

Vanessa said...

Yay!! Hey I have hot flashes and I don't even know why....but I feel your pain, teehee. They suck. I do't sleep with covers anymore!!

Enough about me--I am SO glad you are nearing the end. And you have a tattoo!! three!! Hot mama.

We love you girl

Susan said...

Have a great time!

Judy said...

Have a great time and don't give a second thought to us poor people up here getting walloped by another f#$@ing storm!!! LOL!!