Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas Gone...Onto Chemo #4

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Ours was lovely. Lots of cooking. Some present opening. I made a major faux pas. As most of you know, Santa doesn't fill adult stockings so Andrew & I fill each others. Well, one day we were out at Walmart & I kept picking little things up and saying "put this in my stocking". For some reason, I thought he had done the same. Turns out? Not so much! So....my poor man had one CD in his stocking and I grabbed a tangerine to fill it out a little more. I felt so guilty! But? I had some lovely things in my stocking! ROFL!!

The boys all did well. Kevin got an Ipod and a new sword, Scott got new skates and another guitar hero, Jeff got a bunch of fraternity clothes and gift cards, Andrew got a Lightening Jersey. Me? Andrew & I gave each other (and mom and dad) tickets to an Alan Jackson concert. The boys gave me, for my birthday and Christmas combined, a small pond in the backyard. I'm very excited about it. We went and got some of the stuff they need to get started and Kevin started digging the hole yesterday. It's the beginning of our landscape design for the backyard. Of course, money will decide how far we get, in the end, but I'm hoping for a more enjoyable backyard (which won't be hard since there's nothing back there right now except a lot of weeds!).

Christmas day we had Mom & Dad and The Halls for dinner. Again, very nice. The Halls are like family, now, so we can joke with them, enjoy them, just like family. I decided to change dinner up a little. We end up having the same dinner for Thanksgiving as for Christmas. Now, that was fine when we lived in Canada because those two dinners are a couple of months apart. But, now that we're in The States I find it redundant. So...I decided to try twice baked potatoes....for the first time! Listen, we had them on the sailboat this past weekend (Jean made them and said they were easy and she's a big liar - or a better cook!) and they were sooo good! I decided to try them for our dinner. Well, what a mistake. There's gotta be a trick to these things 'cause mine? Came out too garlicky, too cheesy and too gloppy. Is that a word? gloppy? Well, how 'bout too starchy? Anyway, they were yucky. A big fat flop. On Christmas day! Lesson? Don't try a new recipe on Christmas Day.

Now on to Chemo talk. I'm doing my fourth chemo this afternoon. That means I'm halfway through. I'll also be "done" with the first type of drug. They give you one type for the first four times and a different one for the second four. Apparently, the nausea for the second four isn't as bad but you do get more "pains" from the second four. We'll see.

Anyway, I was in the shower yesterday staring down at this new body that just won't let me forget I'm doing this damn treatment. First off, you know when you get in the shower and the first thing you do is lean your head back to get your hair wet? Well, still, after all these weeks, I lean back and put my hands up to move my hair around to get it all wet. Hello! I have no hair. Freaks me out every time. Now? I will talk about "other" hair. Listen, I got kinda excited at the prospect of "all" my hair falling out. Legs with no hair. Upper lip with no hair. Armpits with no hair. Well, apparently? The legs and upper lip didn't get the memo. Ugh! How the hell can my upper lip not get the memo but my eyebrows and my entire freaking head got it? Weird. Just weird.

Well, that's all for today. Wish me luck on my chemo!

TTFN!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great day, Sandy. I tried to call a couple of times, but it was busy. We had fondue, so I ate waaayyyy too much, and fell asleep after Jeff's dad left. But I was trying!

Love ya! Karen