Monday, December 24, 2007

Great Weekend!

We had a great weekend!

Friday night we were supposed to go see Jim Brickman in concert. That fell through so we ended up sitting at home doing nothing. Just what we needed. Perfect.

Saturday we went over to the west coast to see Trevor and Jean Johnson. Trevor was Andrew's boss at Risdon many moons ago. Very important to stay in contact with special people from the past. Anyway, Jean and Trevor live on their sailboat. I really didn't know what to expect. We started out on a dinghy going out to the boat. The boat is in a marina but not at the dock - out about 100 yards out so you take a dinghy to get to the boat. We ate and drank and chatted and went out on the dinghy to a park and took a walk on the beach and ate and drank and chatted some more. A manatee showed up. Lots of dolphins wandered by. Really nice.

I don't think I could do what they do. Live on a boat. I admire them, though. It really takes a lot of hard work, persistence and knowledge. They head to The Bahamas just after New Years. It's only about 12 hours of sailing from Miami to The Bahamas. I didn't know that. Makes sense, though, since my flight was only 45 minutes. I'm a little jealous, too. They just take care of themselves out there. That would be nice to just take care of yourself for awhile. But, again, I don't think I could do it. I need my kids and parents and extended family and friends way too much. I need to connect with you people that I love so much.

I'm excited about Christmas. Today (Christmas Eve) we always eat exactly the same things (chicken wings, nacho dip that Kevin makes, spinach dip in pumpernickel bread and Andrew insists on veggies and dip to make it look at least a little healthy). Every year. We may go to a movie. We may stay home and watch White Christmas (Sisters, sisters, never such devoted sisters...Caring, sharing, every little thing that we are wearing....). Then, Christmas we open presents (we don't do Christmas big - everyone gets one thing from each other plus stockings) and spend the day together. Turkey dinner. Mom and Dad and The Halls are coming over. Lovely. Low key.

This is going to be a great time for me - healthwise - too. I'm in my period of feeling good and chipper. Yey! It'll be much better than Thanksgiving, thank goodness!

Have a wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas, All!!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Have a great Christmas! (We watched White Christmas last night--we watch it every year...)

Judy said...

I hear you about the whole boat thing...I KNOW I certainly couldn't do it! Good for them though...the freedom they feel and the sights they see must be amazing!

Sounds like you're going to have a great Christmas! Glad to hear you'll be feeling ok. Wish everyone a very Merry Christmas for me please! Love you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, All!

The boat thing? Actually, Bill & I were gonna do that at one point. Then we met the 'neighbours' on the dock. Weird people! lol Port Credit Harbour. Also the thought of having to get up and actually walk to the building to get to a washroom & shower in the middle of the winter because they can't pump out your head really sucked! But I would have done it. Hell, Jeff & I one day will be trailer park trash! I can't wait!

Merry Christmas Sandy. Have a great day!

Karen xo