Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cherisher

Ok, Ok, I might have made up the word Cherisher but in my own, personal dictionary it is described as "one who cherishes". I think it's a good word.

Anyway, I have decided I have been and always will be a cherisher. Here are some moments from my life I have cherished.

- when I was a little girl, every Saturday night my dad would watch Hockey Night in Canada. I can hear the theme song in my head as I type. I would always be in the room, playing. But, eventually I would end up on his knee with my head on his chest. I could hear the game going on and hear his heart beating at the same time. I would fall asleep this way and the next morning I would wake up in my own bed knowing he had carried me and tucked me in.

- When I lived in Belleville we had a rink in the park behind our house. There was a "hockey" rink and there was a "skating" rink. I sometimes had the skating rink all to myself and would sing the song "Ben" (Michael Jackson song) and skate my little heart out. I always thought some big talent scout from the Ice Capades would drive along and see me skating so beautifully and make a star out of me.

- Going on errands on Saturdays with my dad. We would go by the butcher shop and almost always go by the bait shop where they sharpened his skates in the winter and we bought bait in the summer. Then in the afternoons we'd go skating on the bay in the winter or fishing in the summer and I always caught the most fish.

- Lazing in bed with my mom. Sitting in her "hole" on the couch while she would read a magazine or book or do a crossword and I would either read or watch tv.

- The cottage. Everything about it. Fishing from the canoe. The Loons. Swimming. Washing our hair in the lake. Making up routines on the swings with my sister, Kim. The frogs.....my dad would get us to catch frogs to use as bait. Then my sister, Karen would get us to sneak outside in the middle of the night to let them go. My dad would get up to go fishing early the next morning and would have to use worms as bait 'cause all the frogs were "gone". ROFL!!

- Going anywhere with my sister, Kim. I'd beg her to take me anywhere she was going and she always made me feel so special. She also taught me how to cook.

- Getting my brother, Steve, to take me to Dairy Queen.

- Lazy days by our pool - right from high school all the way through until I had kids. I loved those lazy days.

- My Grandma Irvine's kitchen, when all the relatives would gather in the kitchen and chat and cook. My Aunt Vi would sit in the rocker and I'd sprawl across her lap and make her scratch my back for as long as she could. Then, my cousin, Judy and I would go outside and practice baton for hours.

- Softball. My dad coached me.

- Cheerleading. I loved it more than words can say.

- My wedding. A beautiful, perfect day.

- Watching Lindsey being born.

- Snuggling in with my newborn babies for a nap.

- Sunday afternoons swimming at the Y with Andrew and the boys.

- Disney the first time. Magical. The boys were 6, 7 & 8. It was the perfect time to go. Andrew's sister Hilary came with us so we had one adult per kid. We drove from Canada down to Florida and even that was fun. I think it was the best vacation of my life.

- Watching my kids play soccer and hockey. Especially the year when all three played hockey on two teams together and Andrew coached one of the teams. We were so busy but I love love loved it!

- Watching my kids in plays and musicals. Especially the year when Jeff was the host of the entire production and Scotty did a solo - New York, New York. He was only in grade 5 and it was so brave of him to do that and he sang so well. Heaven.

- Debbie. Going on "girl vacations" and just chatting on the phone. I am so lucky to have this girl in my life!

- Ireland with Andrew. Paris by myself. Aruba with Andrew for his 40th birthday. Amazing.

- Spending time with Andrew. In the kitchen, in the car, anywhere.

- Phone calls from my kids when they're away at college.

This all came about because someone told me that maybe I got cancer to make me remember to cherish the small things. I told them I have always cherished the small things because they may seem small at the time but they're huge in the realm of life. We don't need to get "sick" to realize this so I've pooh poohed that idea away but I wanted to share some of the times I've cherished with you. Such wonderful memories.

Have a great day!
ttfn

7 comments:

Unknown said...

God am I sick of this recurring theme. Just because dumb religious people think god did this for you to appreciate life doesn't mean you hafta come back with, "well I already appreciate life". GET ON THE OFFENSE. Tell them theyre religious pricks and if they really think theres some guy up there controlling shit but he does shitty things to make you appreciate it then they're seriously retarded. So sick of you having to listen to these people say their dumb Christian things. People can't think enough to see that the idea of Christianity is more farfetched than the idea of Santa. I really don't like religious fanatics so I thought I'd go on a rant. Just don't listen to these people mom. Love ya, probably call ya later today for an update.

Jeff said...

I completely agree with Scott on this one. By the way, just watched the Zeitgeist Romance of Jesus Christ thing that Scott wanted us all to watch, and I hafta say that I actually believe it. I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't exist at all. But that's a little off topic.

I hope you feel better, and I'll see ya next weekend. Actually, typing this has reminded me that you called and I hafta listen to your voicemail and probably call you back. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

I don't think a few stupid Christians means we should say Christianity is far fetched. I take offense to that. Ignore stupid people and keep doing what you're doing, but don't make this about Christianity. When we all are taking our last breath we need to know that life meant more than a few laughs and a few hockey games.

Unknown said...

I'm gonna hafta agree to disagree w/ the above anonymous person. I don't want to make this into a religious debate on my mom's blog but theres more evidence against Christianity than there is for it. I don't remember them finding noah's arc or keepin' Jesus' crucifix. Sorry that I can't just blindly follow what some guy said to try and keep an entire group of people under his thumb and carve out his own place in the history books. I suggest that you an everyone else question religion instead of being a sheep and a good start would be watching the zeitgeist movie with an open mind.

Anonymous said...

Religion is personal. If you don't like it fine. It's not worth a rant. Try to remember that this is what has always been the basis of major conflicts and WAR.

Sandy, on a happier note ....

Going to Dairy Queen, eh?? I guess you forgot to tell everyone that you BLACKMAILED us into taking you! HA HA HA

Karen xoxoxo LOVE YOU HUGE, LITTLE SIS!

Sandy C said...

Well, Carrie Bearie, if you didn't do bad things I wouldn't have had the blackmail material! OMG!! I was really a bad baby sister, eh? I blackmailed you guys so much! It was soooo fun!!! ROFL!!!

Sorry! Really, I am.

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , probably curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct partner utilizes your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://uqurulixam.kogaryu.com/ywyrudi.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life