Friday, November 2, 2007

The Oncology Report

Well, I went to see the Oncologist this morning. It went quite well considering I had to see a cancer doctor. No surprises except that it's all going to happen so quickly.

I start chemo on Thursday, November 15. I go every two weeks for 8 weeks. I also have to have something called herceptin for a whole year. That starts on the 5th week and I do that every three weeks. It's all very complicated but we'll take it day by day and it'll all be over with in a year.

Ok, here's the important stuff - yes, I will lose my hair. According to the standard way things go, I should still have my hair on Thanksgiving (Nov 22 for you out-of-country peeps) but will lose it shortly thereafter. The good part is that I won't be....I'm trying to be "politically correct" but it's not gonna work for me so I'll just say it - I won't be barfing, vomiting, spewing. None of those. They have drugs that help with that. That is a true relief for me. I have a few phobias. Teeth, hair and vomiting. You can see that two of them come into play here. Don't get me wrong, I like my own hair but, generally? Well, lets just say I have a delicate gag reflex and all these things set me off - just thinking about them. So, the no puking thing is very good news for me.

So before the 15th I have to have a port put in. It's this thing they put in my chest with a tube that goes directly into my veins (nice and close to the heart) so that I don't have to have an IV every time they do the chemo. This will freak me out but I have to have it for a year so I just better get used to it, right? That will be a day surgery - probably this week sometime. I also have to go and get some sort of testing done on my heart to make sure I'm healthy enough to get the chemo. This just seems ironic, to me. Anyway, I have to have an IV on that one, too. I think I'll start feeling like a pin cushion in the very near future.

I also have to quit my job. That sucks 'cause I really like my job. But working with the public in a seminar setting in restaurants and doctor's offices wouldn't be good since my immune system will be weak. But, weirdly enough, another job has come up that's perfect for me. It's insurance sales on the phone - from home!! What's better than that? I can work in my pj's. bald.

So, things have a way of working out and I really think it's amazing that this new job cropped up (thank you, Ed Beth! I love you!!) right when I need that very job. I do wish I didn't have cancer but the outpouring of love and caring people have shown has been incredible and this is another example.

I just must add that this week has been terrific for me on the Donny front. If anyone's been watching tv they'll notice that Marie has been on Dancing With The Stars and all over the "entertainment news shows". Well, where there's Marie? There's Donny!! He's been on tv every single night this week!! Can you even imagine how happy this makes me? The only thing that could make me happier? Well there's two - one's "unmentionable" and dreamy and private and....oh!!! The other would be seeing the Osmond's in concert in March in the UK. I will be done the chemo and I'm sure the herceptin could be worked around it. Are you reading this Andrew? An "all done chemo and let's celebrate with Donny" vacation!! I know, I know. I'm a little obvious in my hints but, after 25 years of marriage? I have come to realize that subtle and getting what I want do not go hand in hand!! ROFL!!!

Have a great weekend everyone! I know I will - Scotty's home this weekend - the weather's going to be 78ish every day and I'm going to be out in that sun as often as possible.

G'day y'all!

5 comments:

Judy said...

DONNY NEWS FLASH! (not as exciting as live in the UK though) Next Friday Oprah is having some sort of crazy Osmond reunion...Donny, Marie, the brothers and 100 more in the audience. Definitely not to be missed!!

Sandy C said...

OMG!! That is so exciting!! I'll tape it and watch it over and over and over and over and over....just think how it'll get me through the next few months!! timing's everything, isn't it? Thanks Jude!!...maybe I didn't see you nude, after all! ROFL!!

Unknown said...

I can't wait till you are bald. I could rub your cueball for good luck while I'm playing online poker and you're sitting there workin' in your pjs. Good to be home. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Sandy, we just HAVE to go to Frederick's of Hollywood and buy you some "bad girl" wigs! What fun!

Afrodite

Anonymous said...

Thank god no barfing!!!Remember I've seen what a baby you are when you puke!!!As far as the hair you can have different colour wigs and Andrew won't know who he is sleeping with from night to night. Could be intersting!!Ya leave it to me to bring s-x into a cancer conversation!!!Sick sick sick!!