Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving

Hi all!

Happy Thanksgiving one day late.

Well I have had two very active days. First, on Tuesday, we were supposed to pick up Hilary (Andrew's sister) at the airport. It was going to be an easy pick up (yes, she's easy to pick up - ROFL!!! - just kidding!!) at the airport 1/2 hour away. In the morning I get a call that she got to the airport on time for the plane but, apparently, not on time enough. Did you know that some airlines have a cut off point (in this case an hour) and if you arrive after the time they just won't let you check in. She was 50 minutes prior to the flight, no lines at the ticket counter or at customs and, still, no letting her on. So she had to pick another flight and, smartly, she chose one into Orlando.

Now, if Scott had kept to his original plan and been at school (he goes to school in Orlando - about 2 hours away) until Tuesday, he could have picked her up and brought her home. But, oh no, Mr Wonderful (I mean this, he really is wonderful) had come home to surprise me the day before. So, first I had to get my blood work done (yes, I might as well just live at the doctor's office and yes, the blood work was "perfect" - what else would my blood work be, eh?) and then we headed to Orlando. Scott got to drive my new car for the first time (I got a 2005 Suzuki XL7, most importantly it's cute and blue/grey colour) and he liked it. It's peppy and he loved zooming in and out of traffic. I know, as a momma, I should be outraged but the kid drives so much like me. I'm so proud.

Then, the next day was Thanksgiving. Now, this is one week after my first chemo. Up until this point I had been feeling nauseous but thinking, this is a walk in the park if this is all there is. Well, that wasn't all there was. I had a bad day yesterday. It felt like (I'm quoting from my Dr. Marla book here) "my insides felt as if they were bathed in toxic waste, my gut ached, I was nauseated and suddenly overwhelmed by fatigue and weakness". You know, I was expecting this but not so far along. I was expecting it day 4 or 5, not day 7. Anyway, it was a horrible day, for me.

We got up at 5:30 am to get the 28 lbs turkey in. Kevin did the majority of it, Andrew helped and I sat on a stool supervising. By 8 am I felt like crap. It felt like someone had their hands in my tummy squeezing. Sometimes a slow squeeze and sometimes a quick jerky squeeze. Add in nausea and that's what I had. I ended up cancelling a few friends who were going to drop by for appetizers (although Jimmy and his girlfriend Cyrene dropped off a beautiful cornucopia of fall flowers - this is the girl I had never met! amazing!) and spent the day watching other people make the dinner (which sucks for me 'cause this is one dinner I love to make). So I thank the whole family for their individual contributions but I must say special thank-yous to Kevin, Andrew, Hilary and my mom. Kitchen whizzes!! (Can you believe that Kevin can make a 28lb turkey at 17 years old? seriously!!)

So today? Hopefully better. I'm going minute by minute. Hopefully we'll get some shopping in today.

Take care, everyone, and Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Judy said...

I'm so sorry you weren't feeling well...I hope it didn't completely ruin your Thanksgiving!

Re Scott's driving...great, another one coming up in the ranks that drives like all the rest of us!! LOL!!!

Thick ankles and fast drivin'...that's our family...well, the females anyway!

Anonymous said...

Thick ankles! Ah, the best part of being an Irvine. Tree trunks for ankles. Skirts?? NOT!

GREAT drivers! Ah, the second best part of being an Irvine! I once got a speeding ticket, and was called 'Lead foot mama'. Remind you guys of anyone??? ANYONE?? How about all of us!

Hope you feel better, Sandy. I also hope they got you a throne to sit on. After all, you are a princess! xoxo

Happy American Thanksgiving!

Karen