Sunday, November 11, 2007

Wig Shopping and a Night out on the Town!!

OMG!! I have had a great weekend!

First off - wig shopping. My mom and I went wig shopping on Friday afternoon. At first it was disturbing. OK, the whole time was disturbing but...it was fun, too. First I picked some wigs I thought would look good. Then, they take you into a separate room for privacy and put a net on your head and you start trying on wigs. The first 3 or 4 were horrible. Horrendous. Scary, even. Then...we figured out the style I needed and it got more fun and they started looking pretty good. The lady was very frustrating, though. We'd find a wig style we liked and it wouldn't come in the colour I need. Then, we'd find a colour I liked but it didn't come in any styles I liked. We left frustrated but knowing that it is possible to have a wig and not look like one of "those women" with a wig. OMG - that lady in the shop, though? You would think, working in a wig shop she would have a great wig but it was bad!! She really is one of "those women" with a wig. And makeup? She could open up a fricking makeup store with the amount she was wearing. Holy cow!!

Then we went for lunch. I ended up spending most of the time on the phone with a nurse from the hospital asking me health questions for the Monday port surgery. Sorry mommy!! But, thanks for lunch. It was delish!!

Mom and I went into the parking lot and said goodbye and we both ended up a bawling mess. We're so mad and sad and scared. It never seems to leave me and I'm so emotional. An emotional mess.

Then, Saturday morning we went wig shopping again. Andrew and Kevin joined us. It was really fun. The owner jokingly offered champagne and I ended up with a mimosa!! He actually went next door and got me some orange juice and made me one! So sweet. Anyway, this shopping trip was much more successful. My sweet momma bought me two wigs. They're really cute. I want one more but I'm going to wait till I'm bald to get it. So now I have two wigs on heads in my kitchen. They have bags over their heads. I just can't look at them, yet. I like them but facing the fact that I'll be wearing a wig in about two weeks is killing me so I'll keep them bagged until I can face it. (apparently, my hair will start falling out 10 to 14 days after chemo)

After wig shopping we went to Olive Garden for lunch and then Andrew and I left for our "night away". We had won the night at a silent auction for Jeff's fraternity so it was "free" - well previously paid for, anyway. We had such fun!! We checked in and then went down to the pool. It's too cold (75) for bathing suits so we sat in the deck chairs, fully clothed, and read and dreamed about our future. The sky was an amazing blue and it was magical. Then we went upstairs and got dressed for dinner and went to the The Palm Restaurant and we had a 3 lb Nova Scotia Lobster each, which were so good. Then we went to this place called the Blue Martini. It was so fun!! There's a band who plays behind the bar. How cool is that? They were good, too. We found a spot to stand and we could watch the band and stand by a table and dance together and people watch because we were right by a spot where everyone had to walk by to get to the bar. There were a lot of bald men!! I'm going to be "in style" soon!! There were also a couple of girls in wigs - now that I know what a wig looks like, I could tell but I wouldn't have known, otherwise. And there were some really, really drunk people to watch!! It was so fun!!

Anyway, we're back home and Andrew's gone to the gym and I'm supposed to be doing some online tests for insurance but I decided to blog first. Actually, I'm supposed to be at one of my best friend's jewelry party but I'm an emotional mess today and I just can't do it. Going through another surgery sucks. Shit, frankly, this whole thing sucks. Chemo sucks. If anyone finds a cute t-shirt that says "chemo princess" or "chemogirl" can you let me know? Especially if it has a bald person on it.

I get my port put in tomorrow and will update everyone on that when I can. Several people have asked what they can do or get for us. So far, we're ok. When "things" come up I'll let y'all know. Debbie, can you let Chris know that I wear the breast cancer pin he got me just about every day? What a sweet, sweet man.

TTFN!!

The wonderful thing about tigger,
Is I'm the only one,
Their tops are made out of rubber,
Their bottomes are made out of spring,
Boing Boing Boing.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a rough time, wish I could be there with ya. Can't wait for Thanksgiving so I can get home for a while and see CC and Papa. Keep on keepin' on. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there for the wig shopping sounds emotional but fun at the same time!!
I'm glad your mom and dad are there. Now it will be nice to have your mommy close at hand.
Just think after today no more being a pin cusion!I'll give you a call Tues. we seem to be playing phone tag.
Your it!
Deb

Susan said...

I love a project. Here's a website for you I found:

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/chemotherapy

Let me know which one you get!

Anonymous said...

Those shirts are KICK ASS. Tell me which one you want and I'll get it for you, Sandy. Just email me your address and all the details. I think I'll get one too!

Karen xoxo

Anonymous said...

Ok. I know which one I'm getting for me .... F*CK CANCER!

Karen